Saturday 14 May 2011

Vinyl



I went to the Calgary Music Collector's Show today and it reminded me of how much of a CD guy I am. There I was surrounded by a gymnasium full of various vendors hawking their wares, which mostly consisted of vintage vinyl of various genres and quality. There was also plenty of collectible stuff and a few bins of CDs - there were a few good finds there ... of stuff I already own. I didn't even bother with the vinyl. I just don't like it - I prefer the clear, full sound of CDs to the thin, muffled sound of vinyl and I am perpetually perplexed by the pervasive attitude that vinyl sounds better - try listening side by side. I have and every time have found that CDs sound better. CDs are also longer lasting (playing them doesn't automatically degrade them), portable, and housed in better packaging. I will give vinyl this: it is cooler. I want to like it. I want to be one of those vinyl collectors with a well chosen selection of classics. I want to be able to say "You should hear it on vinyl." Instead all I'm left with is "You should hear the SACD multichannel version" because if you haven't, you really should.

No comments:

Post a Comment