Monday 30 May 2011

Learning from Eno


I'm now reading the Another Green World entry in the 33 1/3 series of books. The book is organized around, and apparently written with the aid of, Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt's Oblique Strategies cards. The writer is trying to mirror the artistic process of the album itself which used the cards throughout the writing and recording process. I once gave a set of these cards to an artistically inclined friend. I don't know if she uses them to solve her creative dilemmas but I'm attracted to the idea of them as a useful tool. Thing is, I don't really consider myself a creative person despite the fact that my job is sometimes classified as "Artistic" within the Holland Codes system of vocational interests, I do this writing thing many days, and I devote huge chunks of my time to music, books and movies. If I had my own set (or if I accessed any of the web based strategies sites) I could start applying them to my own work - professionally or otherwise. I find I often admire artists who are willing to fail in the attempt at doing something different but I'm not willing to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment