Tuesday 17 May 2011

Serendipity


Yesterday I wrote this and today, for work, I wrote this . And also today, at lunch, I read this entry into Pitchfork's Resonant Frequency column. And I think they are all related. The point that Mark Richardson seems to be making, and one that I was making in my work piece, is that sometimes sad, depressing, dark, angry and otherwise miserable music can be a good thing. He specifically points to Run DMC helping him play better football and Swans helping him through depression; thereby illustrating my argument very well. He argues that these types of music can put a voice to hidden emotions and that this process helps us process them, manage them and heal from them. He begins to argue that perhaps Odd Future are doing the same: voicing hidden emotions and providing release for some of their fans although not him, and certainly not me. By extension, if they are providing release for someone, then maybe they are a good thing after all. Which relates to yet another reason I think people do not speak out about them as much as Sara Quin would like people to. I think with our fragmented media world people just shrug them off, knowing that although Odd Future may not be their thing, they may be someone elses'.

PS When I started this blog, I started it with the idea that my musical life and the rest of my life rarely interact. What I'm listening to or thinking about musically exists parallel to and not interfering with the rest of my life at work, home and with friends. Today I guess I proved that theory wrong.

1 comment:

  1. I think of music as another language to express myself with, either because some of it resonates with my experience, or because it help express something I couldn't with words, or wasn't aware of, or I like. In the same manner, if the music I'm listening to says something I'm not okay with, I (usually) don't listen to it. But it is more complicated than that, sometimes it's lyrics that might not fit for me, and sometimes (less so) the melody. And, as you say in your next post, sometimes it is the "new ways of hearing things" that makes the difference... complicated. :)

    ReplyDelete