Sunday 8 May 2011

REM vs U2


So I picked up the new REM yesterday. I still haven't listened to it but it reminded me of an old argument I had through a friend with someone I don't really know about who was better: U2 or REM. Now, I'm not going to argue songwriting or musicianship or even get into a this song beats that song argument but in terms of greatness, as in "The Greatest Band in the World," I am clearly and definitely in the U2 camp. I've realized that several of my arguments can fall into the general category of REM are the little brothers to U2. For example: Peter Buck gets touring with kids advice from Bono, U2 recommended that REM use Jacknife Lee as a producer (which they did on the last two albums), when members of U2 and REM performed a song together on MTV they picked a U2 song! My other big argument is that U2 fail better than REM - Pop may be their least liked album but at least it is interesting and they were trying something different while REM's least liked album is probably Around the Sun, which, let's face it, is boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment