Thursday 26 May 2011

Kids these days


I went to see Death Cab for Cutie last night and although I enjoyed the show (the band, the music, song selection), I was a little disappointed in the audience. It seemed that they just weren't responsive, often not clapping long enough or loud enough after songs (at least in my opinion). For example, many times between songs nobody was clapping except maybe me and my concert-mate. Out of the thousands of people there. Usually at shows that large there is always someone clapping between songs. Ben Gibbard told us we were a "great crowd" and my eyes rolled because I thought he was being generous or even sarcastic. The other time I felt so disappointed in a crowd was at a Bright Eyes show (coincidentally they opened the show last night) that  was also the youngest crowd I'd ever been part of. At the time I blamed their disinterest on their age. Last night was an older, more diverse crowd so that can't be it. Normally I blame a poor show on the band - I feel it is their responsibility and see it as a cop out if they blame the crowd. But I thought the show was good - maybe I was wrong? Maybe DCFC should have played fewer old songs or even fewer off the yet to be released album? The Plans and Narrow Stairs songs did go over much better - even the acoustic ballad - although it is the one that mentions Calgary.

No comments:

Post a Comment