Friday 27 May 2011

The hipsters have taken over



I was listening to Sloan's Action Pact today and one lyric jumped out at me: "One thing I know about the rest of my life/ I know that I’ll be living it in Canada" (from "Rest of my Life"). Normally lyrics in general don't jump out at me but this one did. What I found was that I imagined being at the show (I'm seeing them next week) and the reaction that such a lyric might have. It seems to me that this sort of obvious patriotism is designed for a reaction in a live environment - we can all sing along! And we should actually believe it! But it just seemed weird to imagine singing such a uniting lyric in these times. It seems like the ironic detachment (dare I say "cool")  that is so common today would make actually singing something you mean seem weird and quaint. I hope this is not the case because, you know, I do like Canada and want to live here for the rest of my life, and might enjoy singing something like that with other people who feel the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment