Monday 23 May 2011

Jingles






I just finished reading the Pink Flag entry in Continuum's 33 1/3 series of books and I'm now working my way through the Spiderland edition. Both are pretty standard biography of the band and story of the development of the record kinds of stories, which, while illuminating, doesn't necessarily make them great books. For that, I'd like something with something more personal, or something that argues a point. I'm hoping the thing that the Spiderland book can provide is some insight into the process by which the album took on its prominence as the seminal post rock album other than the "Steve Albini told everyone its great" story. One bit of coincidence I noticed was that these two albums - more than a decade and ocean apart, but sharing a similar detachment, cold sound and often spoken vocal quality - were both recorded in studios designed for jingle work that have seen little rock music recorded in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment