Tuesday 3 May 2011

Kim Deal




One of my bucket list fantasies is to see a band perform twice in different venues on the same tour - it will likely be a Friday/Saturday Calgary/Edmonton situation. The reason for this is in part because I want to see how much difference a crowd or venue can make in a show's success. My theory is this: venue, city, crowd and even setlist make little difference in how a show goes, and the key ingredient is the behaviour on stage. It seems that whatever happens on stage will be mirrored by the crowd: dark & moody vibe on stage=dark & moody crowd, party on stage=party in the crowd. If I'm right, I want to thank Kim Deal for the great Pixies show on Saturday. She truly is the emotional core of that band and her between song banter, huge smile and joking behaviour with the other band members certainly made for a fun night. This is a band that the cynical part of me believes is touring just for the money and takes little joy in performing the exact same setlist every night but on that night the cynical part of me was silenced and the optimistic, joyful part was 'woohooing,' clapping, dancing (as much as you can when you don't move your feet), and yes even singing along.

No comments:

Post a Comment