Thursday 5 May 2011

The Jewel Case



I reorganized my CD collection last night ... twice. First I wanted to make room for several oversized box sets, most notably the Pixies Minotaur box, which is a beautifully designed and executed huge heavy cumbersome beast of a set. Also, my wonderful Wilco Book (which a quick Google search reveals is not as rare and valuable as I thought it was) and Limited Edition Band on the Run set along with several other oddly sized packages. I did find room for all of these sets but this arrangement created more issues than it solved so I went back to my old system, slightly tweaked to make things slightly more organized. I am still left with the unsatisfying feeling of having to hide away the truly ungainly 12"x12" sets  and vinyl but fortunately these big square CD sets often contain the CDs in Jewel Cases so I can just file them into the very well organized set of CDs in the three book-cases that house them (alphabetically by artist, chronologically by album, naturally). I love Jewel Cases and I wish every CD and CD set was packaged in them. It has been done simply and beautifully before - Bjork's Surrounded set or the Talking Heads' Brick come immediately to mind. The Jewel Case really is the perfect way to house a CD. It is simple, durable, protects the artwork and CD well, is easily replaceable and makes storage  simple. But it is becoming increasingly rare as artists and labels take greater care to produce unique product or repackage old material.

No comments:

Post a Comment