Sunday 10 April 2011

The Music Diary Project


Here is where I will be tracking my listening habits as part of the Music Diary Project (details here) Please feel free to join in or check back often as I add more.

April 4

As I ate breakfast I saw the following videos on Much More Music:
Pumped Up Kicks - Foster the People
One Night, One Kiss - The Russian Futurists

Driving to work, in car, on CD:
Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (tracks 1-9) - David Byrne & Brian Eno

Walking from car to work, listening to my Zune:
Last bit of the Panda Bear Guest DJ episode of the NPR All Songs Considered podcast including
Slow Motion - Panda Bear
Eastover Wives - Dent May

Walking from work to car:
Sound Opinions SXSW Podcast including:
Pinetop Boogie - Pinetop Perkins
Dress Off - Le Butcherettes
Apply - Glasser

In car on the way home, on CD:
Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (tracks 10,11, 1-3) - David Byrne & Brian Eno

At home, on CD, through headphones:
Sgt. Pepper - The Beatles
Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles
Relics - Pink Floyd

April 5

On the way to work, on CD:
Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (tracks 4-11) - David Byrne & Brian Eno
Summer Sun (tracks 1&2) - Yo La Tengo

Walking from car to work:
Sound Opinions SXSW Podcast including songs by:
Bewitched Hands
PS I Love You
Esben & the Witch

Then back to the car:
More of the SO Podcast including:
Tuneyards
Dominique Young
Wild Flag

In car on the way home:
Summer Sun (tracks 3-11) - Yo La Tengo

After reading the some of Nick Southall's notes on the project (the guy who started this thing), I thought I would add a few notes. You can expect a similar pattern all week - listening to CDs on the commute to and from work, podcasts on Zune while walking and occasional "serious listening" at home. Last night's Beatles & Floyd was accompanying me reading Clinton Heylin's "The Act You've Known All These Years" which attempts to chronicle the year in the life of the Beatles as they recorded Sgt. Pepper. I was listening on headphones as Lori watched TV in the other room (her shows that I don't watch). Also, the Eno/Byrne and YLT are recent purchases that hadn't been listened to yet, that is why they got chosen for the car.

Watched last week's episode of The Wedge I had PVR'd

April 6

In the car:
Summer Sun (tracks 12&13) - Yo La Tengo
This is Happening (tracks 1-4) - LCD Soundsystem - because of all the buzz about the final show

Walking:
SO Podcast review of new Strokes
Musicheads Podcast review of Yuck

Walking at lunch:
Musicheads reviews of Low Anthem & Soft Province
House of Balloons - The Weeknd (downloaded this last week, first listen, track 1 so far)

Walking to car:
House of Balloons - The Weeknd (I'm about halfway through now)

In the car:
The end of This Is Happening
then I listened to the radio - CJSW (the local college station) and heard most of one Replacements song (Hold My Life)

At home:
Faust - Faust (two songs) This is due to reading the Wire Primers book and the Clinton Heylin book and being interested in hearing "experimental music"
Watched this week's Wedge
Watched American Idol

April 7

In the car:
Destroyer's Rubies - Destroyer (tracks 1-6)

Walking to work:
House of Balloons - The Weeknd (I'm starting to get turned off by the lyrics - even if that is the point)

At lunch, walking:
House of Balloons (the rest of it) - The Weeknd
Follow the Leader - Sloan (a song off the upcoming album you can download for free from their website)

Walking to car:
Caffeinated Consciousness - TV on the Radio (another freebie ahead of the album)
ep - Junior Boys (ditto)
The start of the KEXP Music that Matters podcast - I think the first track was by Acrylics?

In the car:
Destroyer's Rubies (the rest of it)
Woman Power - Yoko Ono (how did she invent the 80s drum sound 10 years early?)

Watched the Idol results show

April 8

In the car:
more of Disc 3 of Onobox

Walking to work & walking at lunch & walking to the car again:
more of the Music That Matters podcast including a great track by The Joy Formidable - I'm going to have to check them out.

In the car:
I worked late so I listened to CJSW to catch the Musiquarium - the official start to the weekend

At home:
A bit of U2 because I wanted to hear their version of Unchained Melody due to seeing part of it when watching Idol

I should note that our receptionist at work often has the radio on - Lite 96? - and most of the time I don't really notice it unless it is something out of the ordinary or something I like - the only standouts this week were U2's With or Without You and Thank You by Dido

April 9

Now you get to see what having kids does to my listening - I can report trying to recall how a number of Pavement songs go because I'm reading the Wowee Zowee entry in the 33 1/3 series of books, which I did while the boys watched cartoons. Later I played We Will Rock You and We are the Champions by Queen for the boys to show Oliver how a simple beat (boom boom clap ...) can be a big part of a song - Lori let the boys play the drums for the last few days. In the car later we listened to the Beatles - a Ringo heavy comp for Oliver. After dropping the boys off for a sleepover at Jeff & Jill's (Thanks!!), Lori selected Radiohead's The Bends for the van while we drove to and from Chinook Mall - got through all of it. I'm currently listening to Pavement's Wowee Zowee, naturally. Also saw Foo Fighters on SNL.

April 10

More Beatles in the car with the boys. Radio in the car on the way to and from the groceries - Lizstomania by Phoneix and a mash-up of Monkey Gone to Heaven and The Boys are Back in Town. Right now listening to Double Fantasy (I picked up the Stripped Down version last night).

Nothing else to report except - Hey! I listen to a lot of music! More than I thought! and this was a week of working late, watching a few movies at home and a night out with Lori. This was cool (thanks Nick!) and I hope some others I know took part too. Maybe someone will post something Monday?

No comments:

Post a Comment