Thursday 21 April 2011

Breadth Versus Depth



I like music, a lot of music, a lot of different music and much of the time when I'm selecting music to listen to one of my many considerations is variety. I rarely listen to the same album twice in a row or even in the same week or month. My typical answer to "What are you listening to lately?" is "A little of everything."  There are advantages to this pattern including feeling like I'm actually listening to much of my (admittedly large) collection of music - I have to justify all the time, money and effort I've put into that collection after all - and by listening to stuff from all through that collection I feel like I get more of it than if I'm sampling a small slice. But I'm beginning to consider the advantages of sticking with one thing for awhile. Currently, I'm listening to the Pixies non-stop, including multiple consecutive plays of Doolittle in anticipation of seeing them play live in just over a week. They will be playing Doolittle in its entirety too! And when The King Of Limbs came out, I listened to only it for a solid week. Some time ago, I advocated to my brother (another music geek extraordinaire) the act of "pretending a band is coming to town" so that you would then immerse yourself in their material in order to be "ready" for the show. This works even better when they are coming to town and you are actually going to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment