Wednesday 27 April 2011

Dancing about architecture



The title above comes from the oft repeated but difficult to attribute quote that "talking (or writing) about music is like dancing about architecture." The point usually being that it is difficult to convey anything meaningful about music through words and we should just listen. If it is true, which it might be, I still want to talk about music. I like talking about music, I like thinking about it, I like reading about it, and I even like writing about it (however poorly that might be). Sometimes I do all this analyzing at the cost of actually listening but I do think it is helpful. I think that doing anything well requires you to think about why, how and what the point is rather than living easily with your eyes closed. All of this is in part inspired by the news that some Radiohead fans received their King of Limbs Newspaper Albums editions early today and I can't wait to get home, check my mail and, once I receive mine, talk about it with the other Radiohead fans I know. It also reminds me of my half serious plans to start something akin to the Devon Record Club right here in Calgary.

No comments:

Post a Comment