Wednesday 21 September 2011

REM RIP

So, the news is now out, REM have broken up. I can't say I'm particularly heartbroken because in the past few years I have been losing interest in their work. I will still defend the first couple of Bill Berry-less albums and think Around the Sun is unfairly criticized but to be honest I haven't listened much to Accelerate or Collapse Into Now despite their return to form status. But I am happy they were around and want to express some appreciation. I'm glad I saw them perform live, both with and without Bill Berry, and also really happy that they picked Sonic Youth to open that Monster Tour. They put on a great show both times with an original and clever stage design. I am really appreciative that several of their albums are (or were) available on DVD-Audio. They sound amazing in this format and I hope other REM fans get to experience them this way. I like that they continue to be involved in lots of projects (most recently to my awareness is Peter Buck's great playing on the most recent Decembrists album, which you should own if you like REM). That kind of involvement tells me that they actually enjoy doing music, something which they, and others, should hold onto when there is so much whining about the fall of the record industry.




No comments:

Post a Comment